Did you know that March 26 is National Spinach Day?! Spinach is one of our FAVORITE vegetables and it is so easy to cook or eat raw in yummy salads. Not a spinach fan? I bet you might be after reading a few facts about this leafy superfood: 1. Spinach is loaded with vitamins and contains omega 3 fatty acids!
2. There are over a dozen flavonoid compounds in spinach that function as anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents.
3. Minerals in spinach help counteract our highly acidic diets.
4. It's very good for the eyes and bones! 1 cup of fresh spinach contains twice our daily vitamin K needs.
5. Choose only organic and very green looking spinach. And cooking spinach actually increases its health benefits!
[Adapted from Real Food For Life]
Check out our favorite spinach salad recipe (pictured above), and try it out today!
- Spinach as the base
- Red onion
- Feta cheese
- Topped with shelled pistachios and croutons (optional)
- Use an olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing or drizzle some Balsamic Vinaigrette