October means Halloween, pumpkins, and most importantly PINK! As many of you are aware October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month. There are many actions to be taken than wearing pink during the month of October.
We decided it would be best to give a few quick facts and tell you how else you can support Breast Cancer Awareness!
10 Facts about Breast Cancer:
1. In the US, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
2. The most significant risk factors for breast cancer are being female and aging. About 95% of all breast cancers in the US occur in women 40 and older.
3. Getting a mammogram can help reduce the number of deaths from breast cancer by 30 to 40% among women ages 40 to 70. So make your mom a personalized card encouraging her to get one! Sign up for Momm-o-grams.
4.Breast cancer deaths have been declining since 1990 thanks to early detection, better screening, increased awareness, and new treatment options.
5. Each year it is estimated that over 220,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die.
6. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death among women.
7. In the US today, there are more than 2.9 million breast cancer survivors — the largest group of all cancer survivors.
8. One woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the US.
9. Every 19 seconds, someone in the world is diagnosed with breast cancer.
10. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000.
Thanks to our friends at DoSomething.Org for these facts!
There are plenty of ways to support Breast Cancer Awareness. Here are just a few that we love here at Sweaty Bands:
• Girls night in! Who needs to go out to have a good time? Skip girls night out and have a girls night in. All of the money that you would have spent on Uber's, a fancy dinner, etc., donate it to raising much needed funds to help beat breast cancer!
• Purchase one of our two current Breast Cancer Sweaty Bands
. 15% of all sales go toward the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, please learn more about their mission to find a cure at bcrfcure.org
• Send your Mom, Aunt, loved ones a Momm-o-grams
• Give a meaningful gift! We found this super cute craft idea on the 'One She, Two She'
blog, titled "Help Us Kiss Cancer Goodbye." This cute, yet very informative idea promotes the understanding of why regular breast cancer screening and early prevention is so important. The blog features printouts with early detection statistics, so all you need to do is buy the kisses, plastic bags, and then print and assemble. As we said earlier, Trick-o-Treater's aren't the only ones who deserve some candy. Print this adorable idea and share it with all the woman you love in your life.
But really, grab those pumpkins and go get a mammogram! ;) Happy October!